century castle, overlooking the Asse valley, was built to protect the local area.
There was a climate of insecurity at that time, with Brigueil being on the
border between Indre and Haute Vienne and the presence of marauding bands of
brigands after the Hundred Years’ War. In 1494, Jean 1st de Mareuil
was the owner of the castle. This lord’s coat of arms is engraved on a
fireplace in the Donjon. A font found at the site
bears witness to there being a chapel at the castle, this font has been re-positioned in our elegant salon.